Discover Your Purpose, Conquer Your Fears, and Fulfill Your Potential
My decision to read this book was more based on the subtitle than the title. The title sounded a little self-serving, but as I read the book, I realized that I want to be amazing not for my benefit but for how my being amazing can help others. This made me feel better about reading the book and sharing a review of it.
The book outlines six qualities that you should have to be amazing and four steps to get there.
The six qualities are:
- Offer unexpected acts of generosity, kindness, and other thoughtful behaviors.
- Don’t necessarily strive for being the best but do strive to be the very best you can be.
- Have an intention that becomes a narrative — even if it’s only one sentence long.
- Be as accommodating as possible.
- Create a community, serve the one you’re in, or bring disparate communities together.
- Be authentic about and focused on things you feel passionate about
The four steps to get there are:
- Find your “spirit blueprint.”
- Make a decision.
- Discover what amazing will look like.
- Make it happen.
After reading the book, I noted that:
I am called to be an amazing course creator who creates courses that help people feel comfortable with and learn how to use software.
And my intention (Quality Three) is to:
Create a safe place for people to learn.
Some of my favorite highlights in the book include:
- “What makes each of us unique is not a problem; it’s an amazing blessing.”
- “Being amazing is much easier — even effortless — whenever we are passionate about what we’re doing.”
- “Being amazing means doing your personal best (which is much different from being ‘better than’).”
- “…flowers don’t compare themselves with other flowers, they just bloom.”
- “The first thing standing in our way is our thoughts, and the second thing is our unwillingness to take action.”
- “What we think is reality is really just our reality, not the reality.”
- “If we see our potential, we will be eager to seek out opportunities and step into the unknown where amazing waits.”
- “…taking action is really the only way we’ll ever move from hoping something will happen to actually making something amazing happen.”
- “When we are feeling stuck, we need to dig deeper, not give up.”
- “Every time you hear that negative voice [in your head], take the message and flip it.”
- “You teach through your actions.”
- “Being amazing is about you being you.”
This book contained a lot of stories about amazing people and how they were amazing. While I enjoyed and got some inspiration from these stories, I wished there were more substance and less storytelling. But overall, I enjoyed the book and have gotten a lot out of it.